Argentine captain is focused on Anfield future.
Liverpool star Javier Mascherano has denied suggestions his form has been affected by transfer rumours linking him with Barcelona.
Mascherano was linked with a move to Barcelona in the summer with Pep Guardiola a big admirer of the defensive midfielder.
The Argentine international concedes he has not been at the top of his game so far this season, but he is adamant it has nothing to do with rumours over his future.
“Everyone knows Barcelona were interested in me but that’s in the past now,” said Mascherano.
“Liverpool said no and that’s the end of it. Some might say I haven’t been playing well because Barcelona tried to buy me.
“I agree I haven’t been at my best but it’s not because of that. I just haven’t started the season well.” (Sky Sports)
In a way its positive that Javier has come out and admitted what we were all thinking. It seems that the Man United game may have acted as a wake up call for the Argentine midfielder who put in his best performance of the season in the crunch game at Anfield on Sunday and now hopefully all parties can move onwards and upwards.
Clearly Mascherano was interested in a move to the Camp Nou and I am fine with that as long as he can now maintain focus on the pitch. Well done Rafa for fighting off the advances of the Champions League winners because you can guarantee that the clubs owners would have been licking their lips over the potential financial bonus such a sale would have represented.
Javier is one of the best defensive midfielders in Europe when he is in form and he showed against United that he has the passion and determination to make things happen at the club and as long as he continues to deliver he will get the full backing of each and every fan in the stands.