Both London rivals are said to be desperate to recruit the youngster in the new year.
Premier League giants Tottenham Hotspur are believed to be interested in signing in-demand Southampton defender Luke Shaw when the winter transfer window opens in January as the north London club step up their search for a new left back, according to reports in the Mail on Sunday.
Tottenham have made the purchase of a left-sided defender their number one priority for the new year, although it had been thought that head coach Andre Villas-Boas was keen to bring out-of-favour Real Madrid full-back Fabio Coentrao to White Hart Lane next month.
The Portuguese is said to rate his compatriot highly and was hoping to be able to lure Coentrao to the capital on an initial six-month loan deal, before then deciding whether or not to buy the player in a permanent big-money deal at the end of the campaign.
However, it now appears as though director of football Franco Baldini favours a move for Southampton’s England Under-21 international instead, as the Italian looks to comply with chairman Daniel Levy’s preference for the recruitment of young talent from these shores over those players from abroad.
As a result, Spurs are now preparing a £10 million offer for the 18-year-old, who has a long-term contract at St Mary’s that runs until June 2018.