Is there anyone better than the 25-year-old powerhouse right now?
Diego Costa has taken the Premier League by storm, and here are ten reasons why the Spaniard is currently the best forward in the top flight…
(Stats used courtesy of WhoScored)
1) No other forward in Premier League history has scored as many goals (7) in their first four matches than the Spaniard.
2) Costa is a ruthless finisher. He’s only take 14 shots this season, and has scored with half of them!
3) The striker rarely gives the ball away. He has been dispossessed only 0.8 times per match so far.
4) The 25-year-old can score with either foot, or with his head – thanks to his excellent technical ability and his powerful aerial presence.
5) Only eight Premier League players (none of which are strikers) have played more key passes per match (2.3) than Costa.
6) In Costa’s last 38 league games, in La Liga and the Premier League, he’s notched 34 goals – better than any player in Europe bar Cristiano Ronaldo, Luis Suarez and Lionel Messi.
7) “He is one of the best strikers at this moment in football,” Mourinho told BBC Sport. “He is a special player.”
8) Costa’s rivals for the ‘best striker in the Premier League’ tag arguably include Manchester City’s Sergio Aguero, Manchester United’s Falcao and Robin van Persie. Aguero is brilliant but injury prone, as is RVP, and Falcao has yet to make an appearance for the Red Devils.
9) Costa is happy to work for his team. Not only is he scoring goals galore, but he runs the channels, and can hold up the ball effortlessly.
10) The forward contributes defensively, too. He’s made five clearances this season, five tackles and four interceptions.