Menu

Chelsea Boss Jose Mourinho Insists There Will Be No January Signings At Stamford Bridge

It looks set to be a quiet January at Stamford Bridge…

Chelsea manager José Mourinho has disappointed Chelsea fans by announcing that the Blues won’t be making any moves in the transfer market this January.

Mourinho, speaking in his usual Friday press conference, said the Blues had no need of additions, given how well the current side is playing:

“We cannot be better than first in the League, top of our Champions League group and in the quarter-finals of the Capital One Cup,” the BBC quote the 51-year-old as saying.

This news shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. The Blues have a fantastic squad, with depth in every position. However the recent loss to Newcastle showed that they have no real replacement for Nemanja Matic, and tomorrow they will have to adapt their side to accommodate for the absence of Cesc Fabregas, who is suspended.

SEE MORE:
Arsenal & Chelsea Forwards Targeted By La Liga Giants In January Transfer Window
Power Ranking Nations By Number Of Champions League Players
14 Players That Made 2014, Including Manchester United, Chelsea Signings & World Cup Stars

Petr Cech has been linked with moves to various European clubs, including PSG, but the injury to Thibaut Courtois this week has reinforced the importance of having a top level backup, and the club are unlikely to let Cech go until the summer.

Mourinho’s words also don’t entirely remove the possibility of a move: last year the Chelsea boss said similar things in the build-up to January, before selling Kevin de Bruyne and Juan Mata and buying Nemanja Matic and Mohamed Salah.

 

More Stories Chelsea FC