Thursday’s biggest Man United news and transfer rumour roundup.
Manchester United target Neymar will be offered a new £500,000-a-week deal by Barcelona, making the 23-year-old Brazil forward the third highest paid player in the world behind team-mate Lionel Messi and Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo, The Sun reports.
Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu said: “This is the season we will sort out a new deal with Neymar.
Arsenal and Manchester United will have to pay at least £29m if they want Bayer Leverkusen’s 21-year-old Turkey midfielder Hakan Calhanoglu, who has also been linked with Atletico Madrid and Barcelona, the Daily Express reports.
Both Premier League clubs have watched the Turkish international this season and have been impressed with his performances for club and country.
Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney, 30, should think about dropping into a deeper role if he wants to prolong his career, according to ex-Barcelona midfielder Xavi, 35, FourFourTwo report.
Former Manchester United coach Rene Meulensteen says Rooney’s impact is being “restricted” by the tactics of the club’s manager Louis van Gaal, according to talkSPORT.
Always regarded as a ‘confidence player’, the England record goalscorer has often gone through dips of form throughout his career, but he has come under considerable fire from pundits and even his own fans for his performances so far this season.
Lionel Messi is closer than he’s ever been to leaving Barcelona, according to the Metro.
The Sky Sports journalist believes the Red Devils would be interested in signing the 28-year-old superstar if a deal was ever made possible – and they are one of the only clubs who can afford him.