The Times is reporting that although Fabio Capello has left David Beckham out of the England squad, he still has a chance of moving beyond his current tally of 99 caps. Times journo Matt Dickinson writes:
“Beckham was told over the telephone by Capello late on Wednesday evening that he had been left out because he could not be match-fit after three months without a competitive game.”
Capello himself said:
“The reason that David is not in the squad is because he has not had any real match practice since playing in November,” Capello said. “I advised David that he is still part of my plans and once he is playing regularly in America we will look closely at him again.”
But underneath the optimism that Beckham will live to fight another day is the fact that the LA Galaxy don’t start their season until March 29; three days after Capello’s second game in charge against France. Is Beckham paying the price for waltzing off to the LA Galaxy?