Attacker is said to be concerned about now losing his Three Lions place at next summer’s World Cup.
Tottenham Hotspur have told out-of-favour front man Jermain Defoe that he no longer has a future at White Hart Lane and can now leave the north London club when the winter transfer window opens again for business at the turn of the year, according to reports in the Sun on Sunday.
The England international’s future in the capital has been in some doubt of late after only being used so far as a bit-part player by Tottenham head coach Andre Villas-Boas, with the Portuguese preferring to trust recent new club-record signing Roberto Soldado up front in the Premier League.
Meanwhile, Defoe has been handed starts in the club’s less important cup campaigns, comprising the Capital One Cup and the Uefa Europa League, meaning that the 31-year-old has started only one Premier League match all season long, and even that was Spurs’ shock 3-0 home loss to city-rivals West Ham United last month.
And despite the striker having managed to hit the back of the net on eight occasions in total in just six League Cup and Europa League contests to date, club chairman Daniel Levy has now told Defoe that he can start looking for a new club in January, with MLS outfit FC Toronto understood to be leading the chase for the Englishman’s signature.