Menu

Ex-prolific Manchester United goalscorer backs £36m wonderkid as the club’s first-choice striker

Former Manchester United hero Ruud van Nistelrooy says the club’s new £36million signing Anthony Martial should be the first-choice centre-forward, BBC Sport reports.

The French teenager, who joined the Red Devils from Ligue 1 giants AS Monaco on transfer deadline day earlier this month, enjoyed a dream debut against bitter rivals Liverpool last Saturday as he netted within 20 minutes after coming on a substitute against Old Trafford as he weaved past a number of challenges and found the back of the net with a composed finish.

United boss Louis van Gaal then handed the forward a full debut in their disappointing Champions League defeat at the hands of PSV Eindhoven in midweek due to the absence of captain Wayne Rooney, however, the 19-year-old struggled with the task of leading the line on his own.

Nevertheless, van Nistelrooy believes his old side could benefit from playing Martial through the middle and Rooney occupying a deeper role just behind:

“He looks like the out-and-out striker that is needed,” the Dutchman said.

“It would be a good combination if Martial was up front and Rooney was just off him. That would be a good strike force,” van Nistelrooy added.

SEE ALSO:
“Brilliant challenge!”; Manchester United legend hails Hector Moreno’s tackle on Luke Shaw
Manchester United chief HINTS at future transfer window plans
Louis van Gaal URGES Manchester United to sign Real Madrid star

More Stories Anthony Martial Ruud van Nistelrooy Wayne Rooney