The very best of the past 12 months.
Well that’s it for another year of football as 2014 draws to a close and 2015 beckons and over the past 12 months we have seen some great spectacles and successes throughout the sport.
Germany were crowned world champions once again as they lifted the trophy at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil after some dazzling performances that included beating the hosts an unprecedented 7-1 in the semi-finals.
Real Madrid also made history as they finally achieved ‘La Decima’ by winning the Champions League (or European Cup as it was known before) for a record 10th time, as well as adding a Copa del Rey success to their haul for 2013/14.
Staying in Spain and Atletico Madrid broke the stranglehold of their city rivals and FC Barcelona by becoming the first team outside of El Clasico to win La Liga in over a decade.
Moving across Europe and Bayern Munich won the Bundesliga with a record seven matches to spare as they continued to assert their authority domestically, whilst both Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus retained the Ligue 1 and Serie A titles respectively.
In the Premier League a tense finish eventually saw Manchester City run out as winners for the second time in three years, beating Liverpool to top spot despite the fact the Reds achieved a record goal tally for a season.
See here CaughtOffside picks out our 100 best players of 2014. Enjoy.
100. Pedro, FC Barcelona and Spain
99. Hugo Lloris, Tottenham Hotspur and France
98. Luiz Adriano, Shakhtar Donetsk and Brazil
97. Roberto Firmino, Hoffenheim and Brazil
96. Leonardo Bonucci, Juventus and Italy
95. Marco Veratti, Paris Saint-Germain and Italy
94. Ricardo Rodriguez, Wolfsburg and Switzerland
93. Hakan Calhanoglu, Hamburg/Bayer Leverkusen and Turkey
92. Jose Callejon, Napoli and Spain
91. Thiago Motta, Paris Saint-Germain and Italy