Englishman is desperate to be playing regular first-team football in a World Cup year.
Everton are still confident of being able to persuade unwanted Manchester City midfield player Gareth Barry to move to Goodison Park on loan this summer, according to reports in the Liverpool Echo.
The experienced England international now has no future at Eastlands after being told by new City head coach Manuel Pellegrini that he is surplus to requirements in the north west this season following the recent £30 million arrival of Brazil international Fernandinho to play in his position.
Pellegrini met with the 32-year-old after taking over the reins at City last month and made it clear to Barry that while he could stay at the mega-rich club this campaign and fight for his spot in the first team, the new arrival from Shakhtar Donetsk would be his preferred choice to take on the holding midfield role.
And with this being a season that ends with a World Cup in Brazil for England, should Roy Hodgson’s side make it to South America that is, Barry is said to be desperate to be playing regular football in order to keep hold of his place in the Three Lions squad.
However, the problem for recently appointed Toffees boss Roberto Martinez are Barry’s massive £125,000-per-week salary that he is currently earning at City, with Everton not willing to fork out what would be £6m in wages across a season for a player of the Englishman’s age.
The Merseysiders do remain confident, though, of reaching a compromise with City whereby they pay a portion of Barry’s salary in order to push through the loan deal before the Sept 2 cut-off date.