Spurs refute “wholly inaccurate” reports.
Tottenham have released an official statement to reject claims that they have made an approach for Ajax manager Frank de Boer.
Current Spurs head coach Tim Sherwood has more than one year remaining on his contract at White Hart Lane, but it is widely expected that he will be replaced this summer.
BBC Sport claims that Tottenham approached Ajax director of football Marc Overmars by telephone earlier this month regarding De Boer’s availability.
Speaking to Dutch broadcaster NOS on Tuesday, De Boer said that he was aware of Tottenham’s interest and expressed a willingness to hold talks with the London club.
He said: “I’m going to listen and talk. Then I’ll make my feelings known.”
However, Spurs have today insisted that no approach has been made for any manager.
A club statement read: “Reports that we have made approaches to other clubs regarding coaching staff are wholly inaccurate. We have NOT contacted any club regarding coaching appointments.
“We regret that a statement such as this is necessary, however we feel it is important to clarify matters.”
De Boer, who has led Ajax to four consecutive Eredivisie titles during three and a half seasons in charge of the Amsterdam club, has three years left to run on his current contract.
He is the bookmakers’ favourite to become Tottenham’s next permanent boss, while Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino and out-of-work David Moyes are also said to be in the running.
Including caretakers, Spurs have had nine different managers since the turn of the century.
SEE ALSO: The Fastest Players on Fifa 14