Bayern new boy said no to United move.
SEE ALSO: The Best Manchester United players of all time
Bayern Munich are closing in on a deal to sign Xabi Alonso from Real Madrid, but it is now being claimed that he recently turned down an offer from Manchester United.
Respected Spanish football insider Guilleme Ballague has tweeted that Alonso told the Red Devils he was not looking to leave Madrid, but he has now made the surprise decision to move to the Allianz Arena towards the end of this transfer window.
The 32-year-old, who has previously played in the Premier League with Liverpool, looks all set to complete a £5.2m switch to Bayern subject to completion of a medical later today, as Pep Guardiola has been eyeing a replacement in midfield for the injured Javi Martinez.
— FC Bayern English (@FCBayernEN) August 28, 2014
United have also been linked with a number of targets in midfield this summer, but look to have missed out again in what has proven to be another frustrating transfer window, though they have succeeded in bringing in another Real Madrid star in Angel Di Maria.
XA decission 2 leave Madrid took club by surprise. MUFC approached him few weeks ago and agent and club answered, He’s 100% staying.
— Guillem Balague (@GuillemBalague) August 28, 2014
In a late double swoop in the transfer market for Bayern, the Bavarian giants have also brought in another rumoured United target in Mehdi Benatia, who has joined the club from AS Roma.