Over the course of his career, Zlatan Ibrahimovic has delivered some of the best quotes that you’ll come across in football.
Some will consider it arrogance, others will argue that it is confidence, but what they have done is provide us with a giggle or two along the way.
As he prepares for life at Manchester United next season, the 34-year-old will hope to back up his talk on the pitch and deliver at Old Trafford. Having now been reunited with former boss Jose Mourinho, perhaps he’s ready to embrace what could be the biggest challenge of his career.
Here are 10 of his best quotes:
“Zlatan doesn’t do auditions.”
- Asked as a teenager to take part in a trial at Arsenal, the Swede evidently wasn’t impressed with it as he looked back on the request years later.
“First I went left; he did too. Then I went right and he did too. Then I went left again and he went to buy a hot dog.”
- Ibrahimovic on how he left Liverpool defender Stephane Henchoz in all sorts of trouble after they crossed paths.
“When you buy me, you are buying a Ferrari. If you drive a Ferrari you put premium petrol in the tank, you hit the motorway and you step on the gas. Guardiola filled up with diesel and took a spin in the countryside. He should have bought a Fiat.”
- Fair to say the former Barcelona star didn’t enjoy the best of times under Pep Guardiola’s stewardship.
”Nothing, she already has Zlatan.”
- When asked what he bought his wife for her birthday.
“We’re looking for an apartment. If we don’t find anything, then I’ll probably just buy the hotel.”
- Asked about his living arrangements following his move to PSG.
“It’s true I don’t know much about the players here, but they definitely know who I am.”
- Prior to his arrival in Ligue 1.
Zlatan: “Only God knows who will go through.”
Reporter: “It’s hard to ask him.”
Zlatan: “You’re talking to him.”
- Famous exchange with a reporter ahead of the 2014 World Cup qualifying playoffs.
“A World Cup without me is nothing to watch, so it is not worth waiting for the World Cup.”
- When Sweden lost to Portugal and failed to qualify.
“Come over to my house with your sister, and I’ll show you who’s gay!”
- After being asked by a female reporter about a photo of him and Gerard Pique hugging.
“Jose Mourinho is a big star … he’s cool. The first time he met (my wife) he whispered to her: ‘Helena you have only one mission. Feed Zlatan, let him sleep, keep him happy”‘ The guy says what he wants. I like him.”
- On Mourinho.